Thursday, August 26, 2010

Logan Has a Heart Murmur

>

***Bare with me while I write about this long-winded summary of what we've been going through over the last few weeks and how it has finally come to a head.***

This whole thing began when I changed doctors when Logan was 2 months old. We checked out a clinic near our home, a place we could get to quickly if need be, and during our consultation, everything seemed fine. At his 2 month appointment, we waited almost 45 minutes to see the doc and then it was another 45 minutes before we got his vaccines because THEY FORGOT ABOUT US. Yeah, first red flag.

Moving on, I have contacted the clinic and taken Logan in for various things. Most recently at the end of July, I called concerned that Logan has had a low-grade fever (at that point) for a month. I did not think that was normal and the PA (Physicians Assistant) assured me it was just teething. At that point he was exactly 17 pounds. Fast forward about 10 days when we take him in for his 6 month well baby check up for some vacs and he weighs 15.2 pounds. He lost almost 2 pounds in less than 2 weeks. I was freaked, but the PA assured me this is not really normal but he seems fine so no biggie. Just bring him back for weight checks every week and they'll keep an eye on him. I gave her a serious side eye. He seems fine so no biggie? What the eff kind of diagnosis is that?! I knew in my heart there was NO WAY this was just teething. But what do I know? I'm not a doctor. I'm trusting these people to dive my son the best care possible and they are seriously sucking at it.

So I took him in last week and he gained 12oz and went in yesterday and he lost 2oz. Between those two visits, Logan's site on his leg where he had been vaccinated nearly a week prior all of a sudden became red and inflamed. Logan was freaking out and very uncomfortable. I called the after-hours line and NO ONE CALLED ME BACK!!! I was livid. There is absolutely no reason why I should not have received a call back. Thankfully, the swelling went down on it's own and after some tylenol, Logan felt better.

Yesterday, I was greeted not very kindly by a nurse, we weight Logan and I asked that she make sure the PA calls me back before the end of the day. At 5:15pm, I still had no call so I called them. No one helped me and the PA had no notes for them. That was it. I was done with them.

This morning, I called a different clinic, one which a few of my friends had recommended with good things to say, and we went in at 4:15. She spend lots of time with us and answered all my questions. I explained the tough time we had been having with the other clinic and this Pediatrician assured me that she would do everything to help. We weighed Logan and he was 16 pounds. I realize that every scale is different, but we are going off this last reading.

Then the pedi checked him out and listened to his heart. She heard a murmur right away and was concerned that no one else had detected it thus far. My heart sank. I knew what a heart murmur was. I had one that was anxiety-induced when I was in college which has since corrected itself and what could happen with Logan's, however we won't know anything until he has some tests done. The pedi is also quite concerned about the fevers. Though low-grade, this is not typical of teething AT ALL! I knew it. I KNEW that was not normal, but I let a stupid PA convince me otherwise.

So we are addressing a few issues. Logan had blood work done tonight at the hospital and it was the most terrible thing I have ever witnessed a little baby go through. I had to hold him while the vampires tried to hit his thin-as-a-thread vein. These will help us out with both the fever issues and possibly the the murmur. Logan's ECHO is scheduled for Monday morning at 9:30am.

I know in my heart that Logan is okay, but I also know that these little things can mean big things which is why we are doing the testing. This is just another test from God. I know that he knows what's best but I would be lying if I did not feel like throwing up from how nervous I am and how much the anticipation of testing is driving me crazy. Any questions? Just ask. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Leave some Lovin!