Monday, August 9, 2010

>Anniversary Weekend

>Several weeks ago, I made the proper arrangements for a slumber party with my parents and Logan, minus B and me. We were going to have a romantic, baby-free, drink til we're silly and sleep in late getaway. Three weeks away and I was certain we would be gambling our little hearts out in Black Hawk and then it hit me. That is so unromantic. Sitting all alone, popping more money into machines than what we'd get back...not romantic at all. So I googled a map of Colorado. I've lived here my entire life, but there are many gems that I have left to explore in this beautiful state. Grand Lake popped up, only a few hours from home and way the heck up in the mountains. It's on the other side of the pay-before-you-enter Rocky Mountain National Park, something which I was a wee child the last time I ventured through there. Twenty dollars gets you the most incredible drive in all of America. I felt like we were transplanted into a forign country. It was absolutly breath taking. Immediatly, I squeezed B's hand a little tighter knowing that our last minute change in plans was going to be well worth it.

Before we left, we kissed Logan's sweet cheeks and said our goodbyes. Leaving him was not nearly has hard as I had anticipated. No tears, no whining, no nothing. It was perfect and I was not worried one bit. I knew his grandparents would love and hug on him and that he would be safe.

We took our time as we winded up nearly 12,000 feet of jagged purple mountain tops with dashes of snow, wind and wildlife. We stopped a few times along the way to enjoy the views, views which took our breath away and made me that much more proud to call Colorado home. A few miles outside of Grand Lake, we noticed cars gathering on the side of the road and that can only mean one thing: wildlife. B pulled over and I hopped out of the car with my camera to capture something more incredible than I could ever thought. A momma moose with her calf. What a joy! They were peacefuly monching on greens and paid no attention to their growing audience. It was awesome. My pictures, however, were not awesome. Thanks to a dying battery and a mediocre camera, the two were not photographed well. But they're seared into my memory.

The remainder of our trip was perfect. Our little hotel room was small and quaint with a very homey charm. We had dinner at a local BBQ joint that was amazing! We had $10 margs that ran me into the ground...almost. We topped the evening off with a dip in the hot tub and watched something on TV that I was too tipsy to remember what it was. On Sunday, the day of our 2 year anniversary, we had a nice breakfast in town and again, slowly made our way back over the Rockys and stopped at a few different places. We saw several elk and marmots littered over the mountain side. We stopped in Estes Park for ice cream and some shopping before heading back down to my parents house to see out little man.

We were overjoyed! Logan did so well with his grandparents and I was at peace with our leaving him. We had a beautiful weekend that ended with dinner from my parents. It was just lovely and when the camera is up and running, I will post some pictures.

4 comments:

Leave some Lovin!