Friday, August 13, 2010

Skinny Mom

>
*Warning: this post is not light-hearted or sugar-coated. Read at your own risk. I in no way intend to offend anyone, but I have nothing to appologize for.*

I've mentioned in the past how I have always been a long and lean woman. Growing up, I was so gangly, there was really nothing that attractive about me physically. I had short hair, glasses and lacked a ton of self-confidence that I wore on my sleeve. That being said, I managed to bloom, if you will, while in college. I learned how to use mascara, walk in high heals, and be confident behind my glasses (which I only wear to drive and watch TV...).

From beginning to end, I gained a solid 50 pounds while pregnant. A good 15-20 pounds more than the normal pregnancy, I was quite worried about how I was going to manage to lose all that weight. I've never been that into working out, but I conceded that I would have to if I ever wanted to fit into my size 4 skinnys again. Because I pushed for 2 hours and had some tearing, it took me nearly 8 weeks to feel better. Not perfect, but I was able to stand for longer periods of time and the idea of being intimate with my husband again was slowly looking like an option. B has been so encouraging and supportive. At 6 weeks post partum, I bought size 10 "transition" jeans because I refused to wear my maternity jeans again. I was so over all the babyness that was still in and on my body that I wanted something, anything to make me feel more comfortable with myself as a new momma.

Sometime in May, three months after giving birth, my bladder finally decided to work properly and I managed to run around the block a few times without peeing my pants. I did this maybe two times a week. I mean, like I said, I really don't like working out and motivating myself to do so is like trying to get someone to jump out of a plane who's deathly afraid of heights. I hate it. But I was beginning to see some progress so I tried to keep it up. However, in all honesty, I didn't care AND I refuse to run at night alone and when the temp is still 90* at 10pm, that's no fun. So I've done a lot of sitting on my ass playing with Logan, watching TV, going on walks with him and the dogs, working, and sleeping. So how the hell did I manage to lose 50 pounds in 6 months? I'm convinced it's my genes. I am so blessed with a high metabolism and tall, lean parents that I know that is one of the biggest contributors. Plus, when I stopped breastfeeding, I lost the fat my body had been storing for that. The other is the fact that I eat soup and salad almost everyday for lunch. I don't skimp on the dressing. Load me up with the regular ranch or honey mustard dressing and several pieces of croutons!

I've always felt like my being proud of my weight and figure was something I had to keep quite about, especially around anyone who looked or felt bigger or heavier than me. I think this is bloody rediculous and that I should be confident, maybe even cocky, about how good I feel with hardly any effort put into the process. It's super childish for me to say that it's not my fault I am made this way, however, that's just the way it is. God blessed me this way and I am going to be proud of it. I have lost all my baby weight and plan to keep going a few more pounds to soften and firm some things up (can you say ASS?). I also plan to run when I feel like it, but not every day or on a schedule. The point is, I am effing hot now. I know it. I see how I look in the miror and I am seriously stunned that I look this good 6 months after having a baby. Plus, the truth is in the numbers from all the people who have made those lovely comments to me. It used to make me feel uncomfortable to hear everyone boast about how good I look but I should be boasting right along side them! It seems that our society has made apperence a way to judge people and I hate that. I hate that when I was younger, people assumed I was anorexic or bulimic because I was that skinny. Screw them.

So, there you have it. I am 131 pounds and a size 4 and I'm damn proud of it. I hope that all you other mommas out there, no matter what your size is, feel confident in your body. I would want to feel this confident even if I was a size 14. Everyone is beatiful in our oun special way, no matter how or what contributes to it.

2 comments:

Leave some Lovin!