Friday, March 13, 2009

>Gettin' Pushed Around-Scary

>I work with old people. Part of our building has a secured area for Alzheimer's and dementia folks. It looks just the same on the inside as it does from the outside, public areas. Have you ever worked with a person (people) who have this horrible disease? It is really heartbreaking. Most of the time, it is nice to see these folks. I try to stop by once a week or so to say hi. Most of these people are very nice, some of them don't talk at all, and then a very select few just want out. I don't blame them. I would not want to be locked up away from my family and the other amenities our place has to offer. But that is how bad this disease can be. So, so sad.

The first night I worked here, I was doing the 10pm-8am shift and the girl who trained me told me about an incident where one of the men in memory care (what we lovingly call it) had attacked her with a bar from the gate outside and how he had escaped. I know that sounds so funny and, yes, it is kind of funny to say, "Oh yeah, such and such escaped today!" but really, it is a very serious, scary thing. Since then, I have done my best to avoid those kinds of situations and unfortunately, that situation did not avoid me tonight.

I was heading into MC to pass a call onto one of the nurses. The call was on my cell, as I had been away from the phone and forwarded it. As I pressed the security code into the key pad, turned the handle and opened the door, I was greeted immediately by a resident who is very well known for being quite the escape artist. He instantly thrust his body into the door. One of my managers came up behind me and held the door solid. Somehow, I was thrust through the door before it was shut and the resident was still secure inside. It all happened so fast, I am not even sure of those smaller details. I just remember thrusting the phone at the nurse alerting her that our head RN was on the phone, probably hearing me the entire time telling this person to back up. It was scary and the first time I have felt like my safety was in jeopardy. B doesn't know yet. This just happened. He is at work, I am at work, and well, I will tell him when he gets home.

Needless to say, I still have my heart in my stomach and my adrenaline is through the roof.

*heavy sigh*

edited to add one hour later:
They called 911. The took this person away, strapped down, fighting to be free, to the hospital. Never in my life have I seen anything like this before. How naive of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some Lovin!