Monday, January 24, 2011

Book Review: Your Best Birth

>

Wow! I am finished with the first book on my giant reading list for Brio Birth Class. This particular book was not actually a required reading but I have to read one extra that's not required and here it is. In fact, most of the books on my bedside right now are not required. But I figure different perspectives never hurt anyone. In fact, I can now pick those ones up easily and quickly skim them. That is how informative Your Best Birth is. Ricki Lake & Abby Epstein did a fabulous job describing all the ins and outs of child birth in today's America. The tag line on the front of the book reads, "Know all your options, discover the natural choices, and take back the birth experience." This sums up the book perfectly.

I remember when I was pregnant and I saw this book sitting on the shelf in Barnes & Noble, thinking to myself that it looked like a good read but I did not feel like I had the patience to read a book on child birth that was nearly 200 pages long. No thank you. Now that I have read the book cover to cover and literally had a hard time putting it down, I would recommend this book to EVERYONE, even if you have had 10 babies. GO READ THIS NOW!! Ricki and Abby take turns writing about different aspects of child birth starting out with what birth plans used to be like, choosing your provider and birth place, while ending with medical interventions and c-sections. Yes, people, you CAN have your best birth even if you end up with a NECESSARY c-section.

I was instantly drawn into the book. Maybe it was because I had watched "The Business of Being Born" while I was pregnant and knew what to expect. Or maybe it was because these two women outlined child birth with so much honesty and depth I was wishing I had read it before having Logan. Not to say that I could have changed the outcome, but I may have allowed myself to be more confident in the things we did and did not want apart of our birthing experience. In the moment, I got wrapped up in such a fuzzy daze due to the pain, epidural and lack of sleep. Ricki and Abby talk about this. Your inhibitions go out the window. Whether you strip down naked for all the world to see or you suddenly do every single thing the doctor is telling you needs to happen, because hey, they are the doc-tor! It hard to say no to a medical professional. That is why it is SO SO important for women to educate themselves on child birth. Whether you take a class, read books, or actually witness a birth. Any of these options will help educate you on all aspects of child birth. The funny thing is that I felt like I had educated myself quite a bit: I read books, took a Bradley class, and obsessively talked about my pregnancy and birth wishes with other veteran friends. If I had read this book, I would have been that much more informed.

Ricki and Abby include "Birth Goddess" stories. If you're anything like me, then you really enjoy reading and hearing about others' birth stories. These are not all flowery and happy. However, the featured birth goddess certainly makes an effort to have a better birth the second go around. Just because you have had a c-section or a high risk pregnancy, does not mean that you can't have exactly what you want with your next pregnancies. This is so encouraging, especially for someone who has had difficulties in pregnancies or previous births.

There is a list at the end of the book "World Health Organization Recommendations for the Best Birth". This list is essential for any expecting mother. It provides a crutch so that if you are planning on a hospital birth, regardless of what they want you to have, you know what the WHO wants you to have and that is THE BEST BIRTH with as few medical interventions as possible.

Your Best Birth outlines what everyone should know about child birth. Interventions, medications, providers, and birth places. All of these things shape your birth. I feel very confident in saying that the next time we decide to have a baby I will certainly aim for not only a unmedicated, natural birth, but also one which takes place at home. I am not longer scared of being away from all those beeping machines. In fact, I am more afraid of those machines!! If you have read this review, thank you. I hope that it is helpful. Now, go read this book. Please. ;)

1 comment:

Leave some Lovin!