Saturday, January 17, 2009

>In the Beginning... (part 1)

>Fall Semester 2005

B and I met unofficially in a film class. I started to notice him more when he spoke up in class. "Wow, what a smart guy. He knows his stuff," I thought. Our professor was brilliant, but a hard ass to say the least. Remember that episode of Full House where Walter kept following Stephanie around with "duck lips"? When our prof would pause in thought or was listening to film critique, he would put his hand up to his chin and out came the "duck lips". B talked often and while I had a friend in the class I chatted with often (a male friend, who was engaged but B did not know this which is why he never made a move). I noticed that B would wear a scally cap and often had a skate board with him. I only recollected these memories after B and I started dating, almost two years ago.

Spring Semester 2007

I was a senior and finishing up the few classes I needed to walk away with a college degree in May. I vowed to take a fun class the last semester in college and it just so happened to be my senior seminar class. I had been dreading that class for years because, while you may not think it, I hated speaking up in class unless I was 100% sure of myself. College was so subjective, especially with English classes, that it was not often when my confidence spoke out. The class was Short Stories with a prof who was said to be one of the best, easiest to please, and open to anything. 

I knew a few other people in the class and B was not hard to miss. For the first month of class, he moved around on crutches with a boot on his foot (ask me which one and I couldn't tell ya). We did not have assigned seating (and yes, some profs did assign seats...) and so I never sat with the same people, but I noticed when a girl I had known for awhile, who usually sat with me, had talked B into sitting with us. Our table talk perked up and if we had not read the story, we helped each other out and that was when B started noticing me.

He had been dating said girl at my table for a few weeks and all of a sudden she just stopped coming to class, but B stayed at my table. We started to talk more about ourselves and less about the stories.

Exactly two years ago, I won lift tickets off the radio to Aspen for the weekend of the Winter X Games. I went with bestie J and we had an amazing time. When I was back in class the following week, I tried to butter B up with my interest in winter sports (which is totally genuine--I love watching downhill and half pipe!). He was impressed.

That day, it was barely 10 degrees outside and as I was pulling out of the parking lot, I saw B crossing the lot covered in snow and ice on his crutches. I pulled up next to him, rolled down the window, and asked if he wanted a ride home.

"Hell yeah!" His enthusiasm, while appropriate, took me off guard and I smiled as he directed me towards his house a few blocks away. We sat in the car and laughed about the conversations from the class and before he got out, asked for my number. He gave me his as well and that was the start of this flame of a relationship.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Leave some Lovin!