Thursday, March 3, 2011

Of fires, houses and debt.

>
A regular update is long overdue. I find that I am not too fond of the moment by moment type of writing that most of you are so good at. I just think it's boring (for me! not you) and I want fun things to write about. Whelp...I waited long enough so in honor of this crazy-ass week I have here a list for you. Enjoy!

  1. House hunting: Since we cancelled on contract with the first house three weeks ago we have been anxiously and fervernly looking for THE house. Let me tell you that is no easy feat, especially when we are limited by our financial qualifications and location. We desperately wanted to stay in the town we live in because our jobs are here and, well, we love it! But we were willing to look in the small towns that surround our college town. Within a week we were back out with our broker and the day concluded with a house that was a mile from our work in a newer neighborhood. The very fact that there was a house we could afford in this neighborhood was surprising. And once we saw the house, we knew it was THE ONE. When we got there, another couple arrived not five minutes later to see the house. Their broker was not with them and they started to walk around the house. Our broker kindly kicked them out until we were done and I did not feel bad about them waiting in the brisk wind outside! We came home and slept on it, but it was very obvious how smittin we were with the house. First thing the next morning we put an offer on the table and waited. We learned that there was another competing offer and so we upped ours. The seller accepted! We were then waiting to hear from the bank, being that this is a short sale, and we knew it might be awhile. Well, little did we know the sellers were trying to get a loan modification so they didn't have to sell the house the whole time we were waiting! Finally, yesterday morning they signed all the paperwork and we are officially under-contract! This feels so much better and different than the first house!! Can't wait to share more!
  2. Fire: Two nights ago I was running a load of laundry in our ghetto dryer. It usually takes two cycles to dry clothes and before the first round was over I started to smell burning. I was not cooking anything and checked the laundry. The dryer was over-heating!! The clothes were so hot I could not even touch them!! I called maintenance and being that there was no fire it was not considered an emergency. So I had to let the wet clothes that were in the wash stay wet. I was so mad! I don't have a drying rack and no where near enough space to spread things out to dry. Maintenance came by yesterday afternoon (which they had told me would have been first thing in the morning!!!) and cleaned out or vent. It was pretty backed up. THEN I had been home with Logan for about a half hour making myself some pizza in the toaster oven. Logan was asleep and I was catching up on emails. I went to check on the pizza and IT WAS ON FIRE!! The whole toaster oven on the inside was on fire! Flames and they just kept sparking and making more!! I was fa-reaking out so the first thing I thought to do was throw  water on it. While it was still on. While it was still plugged into the wall. Yeah...not my brightest moment but THANK THE GOOD LORD ABOVE I did not start an electrical fire and the flames ceased. However, the fire of anxiety and mild heart attack I was having did not cease. Not for the entire day. Oy.
  3. Debt: I am happy and oh-so-proud to announce that we are 100% DEBT FREE!! Not one penny do we owe to anyone!! Thanks to our tax return we have paid all our credit cards and still have enough left over for savings, necessities and fun. B and I are going on a date on Friday and I CANNOT WAIT!!!
  4. I know there is more...I just need to put it into a new post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some Lovin!