Monday, March 21, 2011

Becoming A Runner

>This has been something that has been SO hard for me to get to. I am still not there, but I have a lot more motivation right now. My bestie and cousin Heidi has become a HUGE motivator, being that she is a beautiful mother of three and looks more amazing now than she ever has. Her strength and beauty astounds me. I am beside myself with how well she has stuck to her goals and overcome so much, and not just athletically. Let's talk about that. I am NOT an athletic person. I never have been. Ever. I tried to get into certain sports while younger but nothing ever stuck. I started dancing in 6th grade and while I loved it, it was almost as if I was ten years too late because of how NOT flexible and graceful I am. I have flat feet so I tried gymnastics for a year. Too tall. My rear end brushed the floor while on the low bar of the uneven bars. In 7th grade I did volleyball for a year. I wasn't bitchy enough (as if that has anything to do with how athletic I am--I'm actually pretty good at it). In 10th grade I tried out for basketball but again, not coordinated for it. While my hight seemed to be enough for just about everyone I knew, it was not enough for the people who actually cared about winning. And honestly, I didn't care at all.

So all in all, I am not, nor have I ever been, an athletic person. I have, however, found ways to be an active person. I love camping, hiking, and a friendly game of beach volleyball. I also love long walks in the summer after dinner. Nothing beats the perfect summer night temps in CO. Nothing. So here I am, 13.5 months after having given birth and I have been torn: do I work my ass off (literally) to get into shape only to get knocked up again in the next year or so OR do I just get knocked up now and be done with it later. Meh...we're not ready for a baby and honestly, I am pretty sure that if I have a healthier more fit body next time around I won't gain as much weight or have nearly as much aches and pains so early on as I did. Who knows--just a theory.

So back to my dearest H. She is my rockstar. Gah I love her and HATE more than sushi that she is not down the street from me (I really hate sushi). Sooooo we've chatted a bit over the weekend and I am finally ready to give an honest to goodness go at getting my arrse in gear. Literally. I will be heading down to the gym bright and early tomorrow morning (5:20am!!) to job/walk for 30 mins. Here is the plan I am going to try to follow. I think it is fairly similar to the advice that H has gifted me--to do whatever I can for 30 min. Run or walk, be able to carry on a convo without being totally out of breath. I can do this and I WILL do it. I'll do my best to keep things updated-good days and bad- and I'm HOPING that I might be someone who can motivate one of you, like H has me, to be more active. So shoot up a few prayers because 5:20am is NOT that far away!! :)

In other news: we start our swim classes tomorrow!!

1 comment:

Leave some Lovin!