Saturday, August 1, 2009

>The Great Cloth Diapering Debate

>

Since finding out about my pregnancy, I have wanted to be an organic, natural mama. Before we became pregnant, I had given up alcohol and caffeine for Lent. Caffeine has always been a little harsh on my stomach so that was not too difficult for me. Alcohol was also something that was not too hard to do. I rarely ever drank until I was drunk and if I did drink it was casually with family for dinner parties or a nice night in with B. When we made the choice to start trying, Lent was almost over but I still felt that eliminating those drinks would still be beneficial to my overall health and it was! Two months later we discovered how fertile we both are. All this to say that becoming pregnant has really changed my frame of mind in being a healthy, natural mommy.


Today’s topic is cloth diapering. I was cloth diapered as a baby, as I am sure most of you were as well. Cloth diapering has come a verrrrryyyyy long way since 1984 safety pins and plastic covers. Eew. I feel sorry for the messes they had to deal with. On that note, I know that regardless of cloth diapering or using disposal diapers it is a mess. I get that. Over the last few months I have been doing a TON of research on cloth diapers. I know that it is so much more cost effective in the end but the up front cost is a bit steep. I wanted to know about different brands and styles, pricing and accessing each one thoroughly. Here is what I have come up with BUT I REALLY want your help here as well!! If you have ever used cloth diapers, especially most recently, PLEASE give some insight to this list I have compiled. I really have no idea what I am getting myself into as I have never even babysat for someone who used cloth. So, here we go.


Bum Genius 3.0: I have loved what I have head about this brand since day one. The only thing holding me back was the price. I could not fathom spending 17 bucks on a diaper! I am not interested in the all-in-one. That seems more messy and more washing that I am trying to avoid doing that as little as possible. I really like the one size that comes with 2 inserts, 1 newborn and 1 infant. This size goes all the way up to 32 pounds which means we could make it to potty training without buying new diapers and worrying about what size to move up to, which of course moves up in price. I am thinking with 2 inserts that I would purchase 12 diapers and about 2 dozen extra inserts. The total cost for everything is about $300. That does not include the purchase of a wet bag, detergent, and toilet sprayer which is about another $100.

Thirsties Duo Wrap: This diaper is right up there with Bum Genius in price. The down size is you need two sizes, 6-18 pounds and 18-40 pounds. For convience sake I really don’t want to purchase two different sizes. It seems that I would in fact double the cost due to the two sizes but like I said before, I have no idea what the hell I am getting myself into. The other down size is they don’t come with inserts and they are pricy! Almost 4 bucks each! That brings the single cost of one diaper over $18, which is more than the BG. Let’s just say, I am not sold.

IMSEVIMSE Cloth Diapers: I discovered these on MckMama’s site. All organic. Very effective and she loves them so they have to be good, right? Right! The only catch is the cost. Everything is sold separately: the diaper, the cover, and the inserts. The contour diapers alone without the inserts costs just as much as the BGs with inserts. Problem is I have fallen in love with the style and material and success others have had with this brand! However, I am not willing to fork over $500 for Just those three things, without the added cost of the wet bag, sprayer and detergent.

So what have I decided to do?? Not sure yet, but I am pretty sure I will be going with BGs. For our lifestyle and considering the fact that we both hate poo and mess, this seems to be the best diaper for all of us. The best part is that B is so on board with this! He has been from the beginning and his support means so much! It means I am making a good decision for both of us and that is so rewarding.

Now it is your turn to chime in on this debate. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some Lovin!