Sunday, January 24, 2010

>Future Goals

>
I am writing this down before I forget, before a baby boy occupies my mind and my time that I neglect to write down some future goals I must remember and stay focused on.
For whatever reason, over the last few weeks I have really been reflecting on my life and more specifically, what I am going to do with it. My biggest dream come true is about to happen. I am becoming a mother. I have never wanted or thought of something more for the better part of my life. When I was a child, my mother ran a home day care. I have several younger cousins and started to babysit when I was 12. Taking care of children, nurturing their little minds and kissing tears away is something I have been doing for years. I prayed that I would someday be a mother with a man who is more of my best friend than a husband. I love him to death and bring a child into the world with him is that giant cherry on top. I seriously could not be happier.

Through most of college and even post college I have thought about becoming a teacher. But why? Why would I be good at teaching? Well, I am great with kids. That's and easy one. I love reading and writing and believe kids need someone patient enough to teach them how to do it properly. Oh but then there's that: patience. I am so not a patient person. I mean, I can be, but I am a let's-get-the-show-on-the-road kinda girl. For other reasons, I just did not get my teaching license before graduating and it makes me wonder why. Then last spring when I was thinking, okay I am ready to do this, I applied for school again, was accepted and just waiting on my acceptance into the teaching program when we found out about our mister. I believe everything happens for a reason and God had something else in mind for us. So my point is that as I have made small attempts to get my teaching license, there have been obstacles that have come about and it makes me wonder why. In my reflections, I have determined that hey, maybe I am not meant to be a teacher. I don't really think it is what I want to do as a career for the rest of my life. I feel guilty about this, because I think a huge part of my pursuit of the certification was for my parents, to please them and make them happy. This may have just been something almost subconscious that I have been thinking and now that I am confronting it, that is a terrible reason to get into a certain career. If I am going to do that, it is going to be for me, because I want to and honestly, I don't want to teach.

So I am becoming a mother, now what? I will have to go back to work, even if it is just part time, once my leave is over. I am totally okay with that but I am not going to be a receptionist forever. I need something WAY more stimulating and fun in my life. I know a child will be perfect for that, but financially I will have to work. At least for now. Now the question is, what do I want to do, aside from being a mom? I know I will want something more because that is just my personality. This is what I have been mulling over for several weeks now.

My new favorite show on TV is House Hunters. Recently, a young couple bought a beautiful place in Costa Rica to open a bed and breakfast. So inspiring! I have thought of opening a bed and breakfast for YEARS, but never really thought it was something that could be done. Yes, me of little faith. Well their story has inspired me so much that I can't even stop thinking about the idea. This is something we would be doing, hopefully, over the next 5 years or so. But I am VERY serious about this now. On thing I have always wanted, which I am sure everyone wants, is to not have to answer to someone. I hate feeling like I have made a mistake and being a disappointment. In guest services, this is something that happens often and is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a boss, someone who works above you telling you what you can and cannot do. I want to be my own boss.

Here is my five year plan:
1) Become a mother (check!)
2) Own our own home.
3) Find the perfect place for a bed and breakfast in our area and purchase it.
4) Begin necessary steps to open bed and breakfast.
5) Build our home on the same land as the bed and breakfast (this is on the 8 year plan).
6) Be my own boss!!

I love it! I have always thought about opening some kind of family business and I really believe this is it. I know that there are a million things that will happen between now and then, but knowing what I want to do is such a relief. I feel great!

Now, onto giving birth....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some Lovin!