Tuesday, December 8, 2009

>Water Sergeant

>
(Side Note: Check out how big my baby in a bubble is! OMG! He is so running out of room!)

Moving on, I have a Water Sergeant in my house and his name is B. Ever since we found out about the amnio fluid being low I have upped my H2O intake by, like, a lot. In Bradley on Sunday I announced that he was being a "water nazi" and he did not like that term so he told me to call him a water sergeant instead.
A typical morning:

B: S, did you fill up your water bottle yet?
S: Yes, honey, it is in my purse ready to go.
B: Good. You better drink three of those today...
S: Okay babe I will do my best.

8 hours later:

S: Hi Honey how was your day?
B: Good. How much water did you drink?
S: I have had one and a half so far...
B: Okay well you need to drink one and a half more before bed, okay?
S: Okay hun I will try.
B: S, c'mon! It's really important! Drink up! Chug!

Yes folks, this happens nearly every day so I wanted to write about my drinking water. I have never been a very good water drinker. In fact, it has been so bad that while I was in college I had been sick all day and had only had a few sips of sprite and half a sandwich. I slept all day. After resting so much, I took a shower and felt good enough to go to the dining hall for some soup. My college had this great "grab bag" program where you could just order a sack lunch and take it to go. My mom tried talking me into this option but I was dead set on having soup. So off I went and on my walk over, I started feeling bad again so I decided to go ahead with the sack dinner. I walked up to the counter and the next thing I remember is I am leaning against a wall on the floor. I had fainted. I could barely say my name. They called 911 as per their protocol. Everyone came: a cop with O2, the fire department, and the EMTs. They loaded me up in the ambulance and they like to have an IV in before leaving for the hospital (this still makes no sense to me) and after 10 minutes, the EMT could not tap a line so he took my blood sugar and it was low. Off we went to the hospital.

There I had a total of four nurses try to get a line in me. They are only allowed to try 2 lines each so that made 10 tries in my arms and hands (including the two in the ambulance). They finally found one in my left hand. After all the tests came back they said I was
severally dehydrated and had a viral infection. Due to the dehydration, I could not go back to school for 4 days ONE WEEK BEFORE FINALS!! It was horrible but somehow I pulled through...

All this to say that I have a reputation for not drinking enough water. I know how important it is to drink water while pregnant. Dehydration can cause contractions and preterm labor and we all know we don't want that to happen. So after several weeks now of honestly trying to drink more, I have reached three 24oz bottles a day! Horray!! My goal is four by the time mister comes. I really believe that drinking lots of water is like lifting weights. Trying to drink 4 bottles in one day randomly without having drank that much regularly it would flood my body and make me hurt, just like I would never go try and do curls with 40 pound weights without practicing first with 15 pound weights and moving up. This may not make sense to you but that is fine. It makes sense to me. So a few weeks ago I could only drink one bottle a day and now, after drinking more water, my body craves more so I can drink more.

I love that B is being so diligent in helping me drink more water. It is important even while not pregnant so I hope this is a habit I will maintain after the baby is born. I have heard that breast feeding makes you super thirsty to I am sure it won't be a problem.

If you read all this, why thank you. :)

5 comments:

Leave some Lovin!