Thursday, April 21, 2011

When do I say "enough"?

>I need your help friends. I mean, really need your help. I'm asking all you regular lurkers out there to actually leave me a comment and tell me what to do. I know, shocking.

As I mentioned in my last post Logan has been in daycare a total of THREE days and has been bit by three different children FOUR times. Yes, one child actually bit him twice, once on each arm. Since the initial shock of my child being injured while in someone else's care by another child has lessened over the last few days, my anger over the consistent occurrences has only increased. Taking Logan to daycare to begin with was a big deal. I was worried that he would miss me, that he would realize that everyone in the room was a new person and I had not been there to help him get aquatinted and comfortable with his teachers and the other kids. I worried that he would not take a nap, that he would sit alone in a corner and not participate in activities, and that he would cry and cry and cry. My heart ached with these concerns as the days approached and not once did the thought of him getting hurt cross my mind. I'm totally aware of his risk of falling and bonking and bruising from play but never from another child. So when I brought him home and told my mom and B that Logan had been bit TWICE, we were all fuming.

My heart broke thinking about him being hurt and wondering where I was to make it all better, to kiss his boo boos and hold him until he felt better. Logan happens to be a little dramatic when he gets hurt and while I do my damnedest to NOT help fuel that by gasping or instantly running to his side, he still cries. I want him to know that not every single time he bonks his head does it mean he's actually hurt. But this is not what this post is about. This is about other kids biting my kid at daycare.

So here is where I need your help. I need to know what to do. I've worked in daycares before and I don't remember kids biting each other. Sure there were squabbles and such, but I do not recall a single child ever having an issue with other children so much so that he was going home every night with a new bite or bruise caused by another child. I'm sure if I had, that I would have had a serious talking to about how our supervision of the children needs to improve, even though we were there. Anyway, I'm lost. I have made countless mistakes as a parent and I don't want to just jump ship from what could be a potentially good daycare just because Logan is being bit by other children every.single.day. It's not like the teachers are encouraging it and the director has been very honest with me about what they are doing to try and prevent it. Even so, he is still being bit. He has a buddy in his class and they've both been in the class the same amount of time and he has not been bit. I don't get it. The teachers are telling me that Logan is not the only child being bit. So what the hell is going on?!

Logan is not the youngest kiddo in his class, but I would put money on him having the fewest teeth. He has been a late bloomer with getting his teeth and I would be livid if BECAUSE he has been getting bit that he himself adopts that form of ill toddler communication. LIVID!! My mom has been in early childcare for 20+ years but does not have recent experience with a group of 1 year olds. She works with 3 year olds, kids who have words and understand directions, etc. Regardless, she cannot believe this is happening every day. I cannot believe it. As I said, I am trying not to bail right away and blame the daycare. Finding another daycare is a huge pain in the ass and there are several perks of him going to this particular one, the main one being he is a block away from where I work.

So please help me out here! I am at a loss. Obviously Logan quickly forgets what is happening to him and so far none of the bites have broken the skin. I've notified his doctor and have yet to hear back. Thank you SO MUCH for any and all advice you can offer! No more bites for my baby!

5 comments:

Leave some Lovin!