Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week Two: Running Update

>
This week of running has been pretty good! I feel like I have climbed that beginners hurdle. You know it. The one where the voices in your head tell you to stop, that you can’t do it, that you’re too tired, etc. All those silly excuses for shortening or not even participating in your desired workout. I have a serious mental bully in my head and it is all I can do to block it out.

I put my new running shoes on THREE times this week for a total of SIX miles ran/walked!! I know for most this is nothing. I have a friend who runs 20-30 miles at a time and an eight mile run is short for him. Ugh. My long-term running goals are NOT to run that much at once. Here is a quick recap of the week:

Monday: I ran on the treadmill and kept with the plan for week two of the eight week running program. I ran two minutes, walked 1 minute. I was feeling great for most of it until I started to feel faint. I stoped just after I hit a mile. Then was lectured by B and Heidi to drink more water. Go figure.

Tuesday: I turned on a Pilates video and did a 30 minute buns/thighs workout. It was great! I have always loved yoga.

Thursday: I ran a mile again on the treadmill and because B had been pretty sick the last 24 hours I was exhausted. It was all I could do to get to that mile.

Friday: I walked with the dogs and Logan around the neighborhood. It was a beautiful day.

Saturday: Bestie was in town. She is one of my key motivators to run and I could not wait to have a running buddy. The morning was beautiful. We hit it with Logan and ran/walked almost three miles! We stopped at the store to get a few things and a movie. Best weekend in a long time!

Overall I am very proud of myself. I am proud that I was able to stay motivated to make the time to workout, no matter what I was doing. This is a huge feat for me. As I have stated before, I have never been a very athletic person. Now I know that I don’t need to be athletic to be a runner. I don’t need to be athletic to practice yoga or do the 30 Day Shred. I was putting myself in a “non-athletic” box which meant there was no way I could become a runner. The blinders are off and I am rearing to go! Sundays will always be my day of rest. I have not worked up to a five-day a week workout plan yet. I am pacing myself until I feel ready to do that. Also, things will change once I start my new job in a few weeks. If anyone else out there needs some motivation let me know! The positive reinforcement and encouraging words are sometimes the ONLY thing that keeps me going. Oh yeah and drinking TONS of water. Per Heidi, I am working up to four 34oz bottles of water a day. Yeah, that’s a GALLON. I’ve reached three the last two days. Coming up: GOALS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some Lovin!