Thursday, February 16, 2012

oh, you know...stuff

This update is loooooong overdue. I've had a lot going on between Logan being sick, celebrating his birthday, and a crazy week at work. Here comes the brain dump:

Despite the fact that Logan had croup all week, we still had a great time celebrating his birthday. We had a small family party on Friday night which was great! We spent the rest of the weekend recovering. More birthday pics coming soon!


I wrote a review of a book I am still reading and posted it on my Midwife blog. And guess what?? The AUTHOR left me a comment!! She liked my post! Read it HERE.


It snowed on Saturday. A good snow. We got more than we were expecting and I love it! Being in Colorado, we have this stereotype that it's snowy all.the.time. That's not true. First of all, it depends on where you live and secondly, we've had several dry winters the last few years. And when I say dry I mean less than 5 good storms where the snow sticks around for a few weeks, it stays cold, and doesn't melt by noon. We don't live in the mountains so the snow melts faster and it doesn't get or stay as cold. Logan loves the snow! When he says it, it sounds like he's saying "no" and he draws out the O sound. So cute.


Pinterest has been awesome to me. I have done SO much and here are just a few: 


Yarn Balls. I don't know what else to call them. I did these a few weeks ago and we finally hung them over Logan's bed. He loves it! The colors make the room pop. If you want to attempt this, here are a few suggestions:






  1. Don't cut your yard into long pieces! This was my first mistake. It took THREE attempts for me to get this right. Just drag the yard out of your skein into your bowl of glue and wrap around the ball. You won't have stray ends you're trying to hide or tuck away.

  2. Slather your balloon in vaseline before you begin. A friend suggested this and it was SO helpful! Getting it going is hard, the yarn wants to slip off and you're a big gluey mess. The vaseline helps prevent the yard from sliding off the balloon.

  3. TIME! You need A LOT of time without a toddler to get this project done. After I figured out how I was going to do this, I made sure it was during nap time. Logan sleeps 3-4 hours. It took me an hour just to make the four you see there! I love how they turned out but I had no idea how time-consuming it would be.

  4. Lots of glue. You need a lot of glue. I went through almost a whole bottle of Elmer's glue for 4 balls.

  5. Hang dry. The 2nd attempt didn't work out because I didn't hang dry the ball and it dried great on one side, and mushy on the other.


Our Valentine's Day was awesome! One of the best I've had in a long time. I'm not big on the holiday, but despite how hard I try to resist it's hard not to have any expectations. So this year I just made myself not expect anything and it was perfect. We worked, B sent me a beautiful letter via email, and we spent the evening together. I made tortellinis, which were amazing, and baked asparagus (similar to THIS recipe). I added parmesan cheese and they were soooo good! Logan gobbled up his tortellinis and we thought all was great.


Then I remembered. There is cheese in the torts and I totally forgot! We have been testing Logan to see if he has a lactose issue and obviously I am lactose intolerant. But by the time I realized the mistake I made, it was too late. My stomach started aching but I was fine. I dealt with it. At 3 am, however, Logan woke up in pain. He cried for almost 4 hours straight, on and off between short bouts of sleep, from terrible gas pains. We didn't know right off that was the problem or how to relieve it. We were all miserable and had to work. B got some baby gas drops that those did the trick. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out. I was. Watching my kid writhe in pain was ripping my heart out. We knew it was his tummy, but we didn't know where or why. And then it dawned on me. The torts. Gaaahhhh! I felt terrible. I wasn't in good shape either but I can deal with it. Thankfully, the drops worked right away and I have a higher alert on for lactose/dairy items.

1 comment:

Leave some Lovin!