Sunday, November 27, 2011

getting started

Today was my first official day without gluten. What's amazing is how aware of food I have become and I'd be lying if I said this did not cause me some major stress and anxiety. The last few days I spent scowering sites about becoming gluten-free, how to shop, printing out lists of foods not to eat, foods to eat...I mean my head was spinning in this mess of changes

Normally I welcome change with open arms. This change, however, is asking me to divorce all the foods I love. I have not cried yet. Logan has been fighting a cold and that distraction has prevented me from loosing my shit all over the place. BUT, I'm sure it's coming. The worst part I'm sure is not cheating. Our hospital makes the most amazing cookies everyday and it's all I can do not to eat one!!

One of the blogs I stumbled upon made it very clear NOT to do two things: do not make a list of all the things you CAN"T eat, rather a list of the things you can and do not go out and buy every gluten-free product on the selves, especially at an expensive store, like Whole Foods. I had already started doing the first, making a list. My memory is not what it used to be pre-baby and it will take me time to remember what's okay and what's not. Shopping was an easy one. Our grocery store has gluten-free foods on every aisle. If you're looking for GF pasta, then it will be on the pasta aisle. I like that AND I'm sure it's a little cheaper than the organic markets. Still, it's a few extra dollars.

Logan and I headed to the store this morning because the only thing I could eat in the house was eggs and I needed more! Don't forget, I am also avoiding dairy which is what all the GF sites say is just fine. Well, for me it's not. Shopping went well and I only picked up a few things like cereal and pasta, staples in our home.

Today I only had some pains in the afternoon after a nap. This is what I ate:

  • tuna mixed with relish, mayo, salt and pepper with a pickle (no crackers or bread)

  • avocado with salt and pepper

  • a piece of mint gum

  • mashed red potatoes with white gravy

  • GF 7 layer bar


So far, no pains tonight. I really just think it's a fluke BUT if no pains is from me eating GF, then PRAISE THE LORD!

3 comments:

Leave some Lovin!