Sunday, June 5, 2011

On Allergies

>

I've only mentioned briefly about delaying certain foods for Logan due to high allergen ricks especially since B and most of his family members are extremely allergic to cats and fish. Up until Logan was a year old, as most pedi's would recommend, we held off on the top five foods that are thought to cause some of the worst food allergies in kids. Peanuts/tree nuts, cows milk, fish, honey, and eggs. Since Logan turned one he has tried a little of everything on that list except fish and and eggs. I've tried to give him eggs and he hates them. Spits them right out! He will not have fish until he is much older, at least 3-4 years of age. 

I only have a few allergies and sensitivities to things, the two biggest being Vicodin and grass. I get seasonal allergies sometimes but nothing too serious. Vicodin makes my face itch and grass makes me break out in a rash. Between the two of us, B and I both have very sensitive skin. I've always used a special brand of laundry detergent along with hair and body products. I realize there are kids out there with much worse allergies and I am so thankful that Logan does not seem to have any to speak of, until last week that is.

Going on six months now Logan has had a horrible cough. It seemed to come and go and I thought mostly with cutting new teeth but now it is so bad he wakes up in the night in a fit nearly choking on his spit. It is scary to watch and listen to so on Friday he had his 15 month well baby check up and we talked about the cough. No fluid or wheezing in the lungs as well as no other symptoms to indicate and infection of some kind. I was very relieved to hear his lungs are clear. His doctor has referred us to an allergist whom we will see on Friday. 

My mind is running wild wondering what could possibly be causing this horrible cough and my worst fear would be the dogs. We would be so heartbroken if Logan was allergic to the dogs or any pets for that matter. Everyone in our family has a dog or a cat. Not to mention he LOVES the dogs. He goes up to strangers' dogs and says hi. Teaching him NOT to do this will be hard! Also, I took him to the splash park today and laid him on the grass for a moment. When I picked him up his back flared up in red marks like my skin does with grass and my heart sank. 

I am actually looking forward to this appointment. I know that we will be able to find out of he has allergies to anything out there, including fish, and will know how to go from there. Please pray that it's NOT the dogs! Or anything serious for that matter. Hope you're all doing well.

1 comment:

Leave some Lovin!